Academic Career Perspectives – From PhD to Postdoc
Many PhD researchers opt for further careers in higher education and research. So, they work as postdoc as the next step. But the application process can be mysterious, the transition phase from doctorate to postdoc may seem difficult, expectations and requirements remain uncertain. In this workshop, we will demystify the process from PhD to postdocs. We will describe the roles, rights and duties of postdoc position and how does it fit into the bigger picture of an academic career.
Topics and questions that will be addressed in the workshop:
BEFORE being a postdoc:
- Planning my postdoc: When do I have to take care of what, how do I plan the postdoc phase in a time-sensitive way?
- How to do introspection? What are my personal and career goals?
- Where do I get information on the labor market, requirements for academics in academia, relevant postdocs listings and further contact points for consultations?
WHILE being a postdoc:
- What distinguishes an early postdoc from a PhD researcher? What is expected of me as postdoc and how do I become "independent" as a researcher?
- How to identify my skills & competencies acquired during the doctoral and the postdoc phase?
- How do I orient myself in the (German) funding landscape? How do I learn to write successful research proposals and when do I write which third-party funding applications?
AFTER being a postdoc:
- How do I find the next position: junior group leader, junior (assistant) professor, habilitation, Emmy-Noether group leader, etc.?
- How to handle a potential exit strategy: When and how and can I manage to leave academia with success?